With a population of 156,078 in 2011, It is also the largest city of the Kumaun region. The Haldu trees were found in abundance prior to deforestation for agriculture and settlement. Located in the Bhabhar region in the Himalayan foothills on the banks of the Free dating in Roorkee River, The town of Haldwani was established in 1834, as a mart for hill people who visited Bhabar during the cold season.
The region, where the city is located, has historically been a part of the Kingdom of Kumaon. The region came under the dominion of Kumaun, when King Gyan Chand of Chand Dynasty visited Delhi Sultanate in the 14th century. In the early 1600s, the Haldwani region was sparsely populated. It was inhabited by people of a Native tribe known as the Buksa. The Terai area southward consisted of thick forests, and was used as hunting grounds by the Mughals. In 1816, after the British defeated Gorkhas, and gained control of Kumaon by the Treaty of Sugauli, Gardner was appointed the Commissioner of Kumaon.
1858, the region was cleared of the rebels. Before the formation of Nainital district in 1891, it was part of the Kumaon district, which was later renamed Almora district. The Town Act was implemented here in 1885 and Haldwani was declared a municipality on February 1, 1897. The Municipality of Haldwani was disestablished in 1904, and Haldwani was constituted as a Notified area. The first Hospital of the city was opened in 1912. Haldwani hosted the second session of the Kumaon Parishad in 1918. Protests against the Rowlatt Act and for Coolie-Begar Abolition were held all over the city in 1920 under the leadership of Pt.
Many processions were carried out in the city between 1930 and 1934 during the Civil disobedience movement. Haldwani was a mid-sized town, with a population of about 25,000, in 1947, when India became Independent from the British Rule. 40 human skeletons and 300 ‘grave-like structures’ were discovered in Haldwani’s Golapar area on 9 May 2017 during the construction of the Haldwani ISBT. Nainital district on the right bank of the Gaula River.
The city has an area of 44. When Haldwani was founded in 1837, most of the early buildings were around Mota Haldu. Haldwani is the principal city in the Haldwani Urban Agglomeration Area, situated in the south-eastern part of Uttarakhand, in the Kumaon region. Damua Dhunga Bandobasti, Byura, Bamori Talli Bandobasti, Amrawati Colony, Shakti Vihar, Bhatt Colony, Manpur Uttar, Haripur Sukha, Gaujajali Uttar, Kusumkhera, Bithoria No.