Not to be confused with Chernivtsi. You can help by adding to it. Chernihiv stands on the Desna River 150 km to the north-north-east of Kiev . The area was served by Chernihiv Shestovitsa Airport, and during the Cold War it was dating service in Sumy site of Chernigov air base.
According to the items uncovered by archaeological excavations of a settlement which included artifacts from the Khazar Khaganate, it seems to have existed at least in the 9th century. Towards the end of the 10th century, the city probably had its own rulers. In the southern portion of the Kievan Rus’ the city was the second by importance and wealth. The area fell under the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1353. Under the 1667 Treaty of Andrusovo the legal suzerainty of the area was ceded to Tsardom of Russia, with Chernihiv remaining an important center of the autonomous Cossack Hetmanate. According to the census of 1897, in the city of Chernihiv there were about 11,000 Jews out of the total population of 27,006. Their primary occupations were industrial and commercial.
Many tobacco plantations and fruit gardens in the neighborhood were owned by Jews. There were 1,321 Jewish artisans in Chernihiv, including 404 tailors and seamstresses, but the demand for artisan labor was limited to the town. There were 69 Jewish day-laborers, almost exclusively teamsters. During World War II, Chernihiv was occupied by the German Army from 9 September 1941 to 21 September 1943. Eletsky monastery cathedral was modeled after that of Kiev Pechersk Lavra. Note the contrast between its austere 12th-century walls and baroque 17th-century domes. The earliest residential buildings in the downtown date from the late 17th century, a period when a Cossack regiment was deployed there.
All through the most trying periods of its history, Chernihiv retained its ecclesiastical importance as the seat of bishopric or archbishopric. At the outskirts of the modern city lie two ancient cave monasteries, formerly used as the bishops’ residences. 750-year-old murals may still be seen in the interior. The nearby cave monastery of Saint Elijah and the Holy Trinity features a small eponymous church, which was constructed 800 years ago. Kozelets and Hustynya contain superb samples of Ukrainian national architecture.