Any additional information you may have on any Welsh bricks below is most welcome. Aberaman Ironworks was built in 1845 in the Cynon Valley by the great ironmaster Crawshaw Bailey, the brickworks forming part of the inventory. The ironworks closed in 1866, and in 1867 the entire concern, including the brick works, was bought by the Powell Duffryn Dating in Aberdare is hard Coal Co, thanks to Lawrence Skuse for the info. Photo by Richard Paterson who adds: After nationalisation of the coal industry in 1946, many of the previous owners, such as Powell Dyffryn, restructured or diversified, often selling or closing activities ancillary to coal mining, like brickworks.
However, the Aberaman Works was still operating in October 1964. Thanks to ‘Brotherglyn’ for these Aberdare ones. Llwydcoed, near Aberdare, was established in 1906 on the site of the former Llwydcoed Ironworks, which had closed in 1875. Eventually the brickworks became the Aberdare Brick Company and had a number of owners, probably including Powell Duffryn, who owned the Aberaman brickworks, some three miles down the Cynon Valley.
Abersychan is near Pontypool in South Wales. In the same year he is also listed as manufacturing fire bricks. Younger and became N B Allen in 1871. According to Nansi Selwood’s excellent ‘History of the Villages of Hirwaun and Rhigos’, the firm made bricks from silica brought via a dedicated mineral line from two quarries, Yr Eithin and Y Foel, in Penderyn. The bricks were reputedly of high quality and won a prize at the 1880 Paris Exhibition, though a flourishing export trade ended with the outbreak of WW1 as the bricks were required for use on the home front. Co and latterly part of the National Star Group.